Heraklion is the largest city and the administrative capital of the island of Crete and capital of Heraklion regional unit. It is the fourth largest city in Greece. Heraklion has a Mediterranean climate. Summers are hot and dry with clear skies.
Located in the middle of the island‚ all roads lead to Heraklion. Heraklion has a busy harbour and very busy airport and usually is the starting point of travels to Crete and nearby islands.
- Amoudara the city's beach area; a three kilometer strip of sandy beach‚ lots of cafes‚ bars and hotels and the site of "Technopolis"‚ a modern multiplex cinema and open-air theatre.
- Horseback riding‚ experienced and amateur riders can ride at the beach of Karteros‚ or take riding lessons at Ippikos Omilos Hrakliou‚ located 6km east of Heraklion‚ in Karteros. Horseback riding at the sandy beach of Karteros -6km east of Heraklion
- Rock climbing‚ localers and visitors can climb on a 50 foot rock at the suburb of Karteros‚ east of Heraklion. Safety equipment is provided‚ but one can use their own gear too.
- Water fun‚ at the nearby Water City and Aqua Plus water parks.
- Sailing - take sailing lessons‚ enjoy sailing trips‚ Charter a yacht and discover the Aegean islands. Located in the former premises of the port refrigeration plant‚ East of the Port Authorities.